August 2014 Four Day Tournament
Attendance for the August Four Day Sectional was 881 tables compared to the 629 tables for the August, 2013 tournament lasting three days. Revenue was up significantly but so were expenses. There was a slight loss both years. Thursday’s table count was 182 showing a definite interest in the extra day.
One of the justifications for the additional day was to realize an increased out-of-town attendance. This did not materialize.
In anticipation of out-of-town players, a third session was added on Friday and Saturday. A three-session knockout was added to the schedule. The additional sessions on Friday and Saturday added director, caddy and lodging costs. The three-session knockout was not popular, with the bracketed swiss drawing most of the team players. The third pair session did not draw much interest either.
Two main points came through from the informal surveys taken at the tournament. The four-day versus the three-day sectional was favored 2 to 1 and the morning-afternoon bracketed swiss was favored by a 2 to 1 margin.
The Unit 174 Board has plans to make the August 2015 Sectional four days. Discussions continue on the playing schedule with two sessions a day most likely. Board members welcome your feedback.
BCOH 299r Results
The results from the Bridge Club of Houston 299r tournament can be seen here as they become available.s
The minutes of the August meeting and the approved financials from the September meeting have been posted on this site. Check them out by clicking on Unit Pages above and selecting the appropriate pages.
The Unit hosted it's Whirlwind Bridge Event at the Sosa Community Center on Saturday, September 7th. It was a smashing success - they had 105 participants and everyone had a great time. Donna Sparks took pictures and you can see them by clicking here.
Lots of our members advanced a rank in August:
- New Junior Masters: Trisha Baird, Jeff Ellis, Patricia Kay, Ann Konikowski, Lori McGuinness, Kevin Vogel, and Kandy Westmoreland.
- New Club Masters: Penny Griffis, Nancy Kerr, Frank Mitchum, Lawrence Nicolai, and Kristen Onsgard.
- New Sectional Masters: Carolyn Keeble and Deborah Reed.
- New Regional Masters: Robert Babb, John Caudill, Bradley Etnyre, Evvie Gilbert, Tonya McNabb, Judith Rebmann, and Maureen Weiss.
- New NABC Masters: Lynn Gamblin and Linda Windham.
- New Life Masters: Lynne Andress, Elisabeth Cabiness, Courtney Coffman, Walter Freitag, Maureen Viaclovsky, and Barbara Webber.
- New Bronze Life Masters: Millie Dennis and Chris Whitelonis.
- New Silver Life Masters: Nancy Carlin, Shirley Hooks, Terri Orlean, Victoria Ornowski, and Thomas Urbanosky.
- New Diamond Life Master: Daniel Suty.
- New Emerald Life Master: Carolyne Fox.
Congratulations to all!
We had 15 new mombers join Unit 174 in August: They were:
Ram Agrawal, Marilyn Connell, Richard Denham, Tia Erikson, Glen Guidroz, Cindy Hillman, Kathy Macdonald, Sarah McCollum, Sandi Mills, David Montague, Linda Morgan, Tina Mundt, Brewster Rogers, Julie Stewart, and Jeannie Stone.
Be sure to make them welcome!
Bridge Club of Houston
- New 2/1 Class
- Julie Halperin will be starting a new Two over One class on September 24th.
- A flyer with all the details is here.
Clear Lake Bridge Club
- On Monday, Sept. 16th, The owner of Delightful Finesses will be bringing a Trunk Show
Of Lots of Bridge gifts and Jewelry. She will be set up in the big room. Come on by to shop before
And after and during the game.