The Election Sectional: April 7th-9th!
The games on all days begin at 10 am. In addition, the GNT District Level Qualifier will be held at the tournament. There will be free coffee and treats, and pizza served at the Hospitality Suite, Room 1070, after the Friday afternoon session. Julie Halperin will be speaking about Takeout Doubles on Friday at 2 pm, and Gary King will be speaking about Matchpoint Success on Saturday at 2 pm.
The board election takes place on Sunday. Please remember to vote for board candidates and for the petition to change the bylaws.
In Memory of Davida Graham Word
Davida Word, long time Conroe and Houston area Gold Life Master, passed away peacefully in her sleep last night in Kerrville. Davida was 98 years young and continued to play duplicate until the last three years of her life. Her obituary and details regarding funeral arrangements are here. She will be missed.
In Memory of David Lewis Russell
Dave was a member of Bridge Club of Houston since 2006. He was a great bridge player and a joy to have at the table. He always had a great joke to share! His obituary and details regarding funeral arrangements are here. Dave's bridge family will miss him dearly.
Online voting is here!
ANNOUNCEMENT: Petition to change bylaws Articles VI and IX
A petition to change Articles VI and IX will be put up for vote on April 9th at the annual meeting. The petition was received at least 90 days before the annual meeting. The Secretary of the board verified that the petition was signed by 7% of members in good standing.
In summary, the petition would change the way the members of Unit 174 select the board of directors. There would no longer be any elections with 6 candidates vying for the usual 3 positions vacated annually. Instead, the board of directors would select a nominating committee. The nominating committee would then identify a slate of nominees equal to the number of vacancies to be filled, usually 3. There is a provision for another candidate to be nominated by the members at large.
The exact wording of the current bylaws and the change to the bylaws are presented here.
According to our bylaws, 2/3rds majority of the members attending the annual meeting will be required to pass the amendment. The annual meeting will take place on Sunday April 9th at the Marriott Westchase, between the morning and afternoon sessions.
YOU MUST BE PRESENT TO VOTE!
- Gold Life Master party for Linda Sutton, Friday, March 31st!
- Linda's friends will bring sandwiches, chips, and other treats. APPLE II will provide the cake.
- Please bring salads, cookies, or other snacks to fill out the menu.
- Questions? Email Joyce Ryan at email@example.com, Joan Sitton at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Karen Nimmons at email@example.com.
Bridge Club of Houston
- Thursday, March 23rd – Swiss “8 is Enough”
- Wednesday, March 29th – Gene Levy's Life Master party: Reservations required, meal at 11am, game at 11:55am
- Thursday, April 6th – Daytime Mentor/Mentee game
- CLUB WILL BE CLOSED APRIL 7TH THRU 9TH
- Monday, April 10th – Chuck Michalski's Gold Life Master party: Reservations required, meal at 11am, game at 11:55am
- Monday April 17th - Nighttime Mentor/Mentee
- Thursday, April 27th – Swiss “8” is Enough
- May 4th thru 7th – 299r BCoH Tournament
Houston Racquet Club
- Schedule Change
The regularly scheduled game on the 2nd Tuesday of the month has been rescheduled to the 2nd Thursday of each month for the next several months due to the Houston Racquet Club's undergoing remodeling. This will continue through at least June of 2017.