Your 2015 Unit Goodwill Award Recipients
Board Member Bob Armstrong presenting the 2015 Goodwill recipients Ruth Wood & Carol Wilson. Thank you Ruth and Carol for all you do for Unit 174 and our bridge community!
Congratulations to all the 2015 Mini-McKenney and Ace of Clubs winners!!
The photo on the left are the Mini-McKenney winners and the photo on the right are the Ace of Clubs winners who were present at the Annual meeting held Sunday during the Election Sectional.
Names for the Mini-McKenney winners (left photo): Patti Mullendore, Betty Starzec, Sheila Harrison, John Caudill, Mary Pat Gentry, Frederick Gregor, Meng-Chr Tsai, Otis Nolte. Not pictured: Victor Tong, Holli Mast, Kitty Wong, Tom Breed & Eddie Wold.
Names for the Ace of Clubs winners (right photo): Meng-Chr Tsi, Sheila Harrison, John Caudill, Mary Pat Gentry, Mary Anne Woessner, Jeff Kroll. Not pictured: Victor Tong, Alan Adams, Sandra Lehner, Odis Nolte, David Russell, Pat Levy & Ed Groner.
The Mini-McKenney includes all masterpoints won at ACBL sanctioned tournaments and clubs - points won online are not counted. The Ace of Clubs race is based on points won at a local sanctioned club. Details on the "Masterpoint Races" can be found in the menu above.
Unit 174's Latest Gold Life Masters!!!
Southwest DBC recently hosted an advancement party for our newest Gold Life Master rank advancees. Congratulations to Chris Curran, Theron Lindsey, Sally Sikac, Stephen Reichak, David Dyer & Ashok Shingavi.
The election of new board members resulted in Mildred Breed, Ken Hudson and Bill Riley being chosen by the votes of the membership to serve for the next three years.
During the April meeting of the Board of Directors the day after the Sectional, Walter Freitag officially resigned from the board due to personal issues. As directed by the Unit 174 Bylaws, the Board appointed Dianna Gittelman to serve the remainder of Walter's term.
Please wish these four new members luck and thank them for their willingness to serve.
These members advanced a rank in March:
- New Junior Masters: Nancy Bright, Tia Budde, Gayle Butler, Russell Chandler, Chris Duncan, Albert Fittipaldi, Lisa Fittipaldi, Dee Fredericks, Tom Fredericks, Michael Graham, Danuta Parzych, Gary Pfrehm, Susan Pfrehm, Jennifer Reichek, Yandell Rogers Jr, Anju Sethi, George Somogyi, Dottie Steverson, Noel Stewart, and Nada Wood.
- New Club Masters: Carol McCaffrey, Jan Pasternak, Bryan Lee Vaughn, and Bruce Weiner.
- New Sectional Masters: Barbara Brown, Lila Lee Fennell, Adrienne Juno, Abid Mumtaz, Norma Read, Kimberly Sunderland, Jane Vansanten, Janice Washburn, and Twyla Woody.
- New Regional Masters: Jack Adams, Robert Dennis, Nancy Guthrie, Peter Jeswani, C Jane Lacy, Marianne Lincoln, Nancy Shomette, and James Soller.
- New NABC Masters: Judith Boyce, James Cauble, Wanda Durham, Edmund Gehan, Edna Kelly, Susan Morrison, Evita Rduch, Kris Sankaran, and Richard Wright.
- New Advanced NABC Masters: Sophie Chen and Jo Anne Knodel.
- New Life Masters: Marilyn Bein, Barbara Dabney, Kathleen Hurst, Norma Lampkin, and Rekha Parekh.
- New Bronze Life Masters: Marilyn Bein, Dee Coats, Barbara Dabney, Kathleen Hurst, Norma Lampkin, and Susan Skiles.
- New Silver Life Master: Shih-Ming Yang.
- New Ruby Life Masters: Susan Adamson, Sonia Bryant, Lourdes Fletcher, and Barbara Harberg.
- New Gold Life Masters: David Dyer, Theron Lindsey, and Stephen Reichek.
- New Sapphire Life Masters: Judith Hoffing and Jeffrey Kroll.
Congratulations to all!
President's Post for April
Nancy Strohmer has written her President's Post for April. You can read it by clicking on April President's Post to the right.
UNIT 174 Board of Directors Club Connection Program
Diane Kern*, Michael Kern*, Nancy Strohmer, Mavis Warren, Club Manager, Bill Riley, Chuck Ensor and Margie Patterson*.
The Board continued our program to connect with our Unit members and traveled to our 15th club, the April Sound DBC in Montgomery. The club holds a game at the Property Association Building on Wednesday at 1 PM. Lessons are provided before the game.
Three of the board members (Nancy Strohmer, Chuck Ensor and Bill Riley) played bridge at April Sound on March 23rd. All had fun and good bridge. The food and hospitality were excellent.
The Board plans to continue this program and visit all of 25 clubs in our unit. Hope to see you at one of them.
Eddie Wold is in the Hall of Fame!
Our own Eddie Wold, with almost 70,000 masterpoints, was elected to the ACBL Hall of Fame!
This was the press release issued by the ACBL:
Eddie Wold of Houston TX has been elected to the ACBL Hall of Fame. Eddie has 15 NABC wins and gold medals in the 2013 d’Orsi Senior Bowl and the 2001 World Transnational Open Teams. Wold earned a silver medal in the 2010 World Championship Mixed Teams in Philadelphia and a bronze in the 1978 Rosenblum teams. Wold has won the Barry Crane Top 500 three times, collected the Mott-Smith Trophy three times and the Lou Herman Trophy twice.
Wold will be inducted into the Hall of Fame this summer at the Washington DC North American Bridge Championships.
It couldn't happen to a nicer guy! Congratulations, Eddie!
ACBL Hall of Fame Dinner
This note is from Betty Starzec:
As you know, Eddie Wold will be inducted into the ACBL Hall of Fame at the Hall Of Fame dinner during the summer NABC in Washington which is on the first Thursday and takes place between the afternoon and evening session. If you plan to be part of the contingent that goes to the dinner, please let Betty Starzec know as she will try to make sure we are all sitting as together as possible. Please let Betty know at Lstarzec@comcast.net.
Bridge Club of Houston Announcements
- Thursday, April 28th - Swiss Team 8 is Enough
- STARTING TUESDAY, MAY 3RD - The Bridge+ game will become a NEWCOMER GAME (0 20 Masterpoints)
- Thursday, May 5th Daytime Mentor/Mentee Game
- MAY 19th through 22nd - 299r TOURNAMENT See Flyer
- Monday Evening May 23rd - Nighttime Mentor/Mentee Game
- Thursday, May 26th - Swiss Team 8 is Enough
- Monday, May 30th - Hot Diggity Dog Day - Open & 299r Sections - Hot Dogs served @ 11am - Game @ 11:55am - BRING SIDES